Marketing & Communications Internship
Organization: The World Affairs Council of Greater Houston is a private, nonpartisan, nonprofit organization. The mission of the Council is to promote better understanding of the world – the people, politics, economies and cultures – enabling our citizenry to participate more effectively in the global community.
This program will expose the intern to the dynamic office setting of an educational nonprofit focused on international issues. The intern will have the opportunity to contribute to the mission of the Council while learning and developing skills specific to their interests and area of study.
Reports To: Marketing and Communications Associate
Type: Part-Time (flexible hours within 9:00 a.m. – 5:30 p.m. office hours) for current or recent undergraduate/graduate student
Compensation: Unpaid, Course credit possible. Membership in the Council upon completion.
The Marketing and Communications Intern will work with the Marketing Manager to facilitate public relations and outreach for the World Affairs Council of Greater Houston. This intern will help promote the Council and the offerings of its main departments (Programs, Education, and Travel) across a variety of mediums, through press releases, social media, and printed materials. The intern will play a key role in drafting newsletters, designs, and social media posts and ads. They will assist in updating and analyzing data as well as maintaining and adding events to the website.
The Marketing and Communications Intern will be comfortable in a fast-paced office environment, must possess the drive to learn and see tasks through independently but ask for assistance when needed. Excellent communication skills are required.
- Currently pursuing, or recently graduated with, an undergraduate or graduate degree
- Preferred concentration: International Studies, Public Relations, Marketing, Communications, Journalism, or related field with high academic credentials
- Ability to learn to use new systems and digital platforms, including proficiencies with Windows and Mac OS and Microsoft Office Suite
- Know or be willing to learn database, CRM, and website manage skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Detail-oriented, organized, and reliable
- Familiarity with and a demonstrated interest in the mission of the Council
- Availability to work one to two events in the evening each month (counts toward internship hours)