Organization: The World Affairs Council of Greater Houston is a private, nonpartisan, nonprofit organization. The mission of the Council is to promote better understanding of the world – the people, politics, economies and cultures – enabling our citizenry to participate more effectively in the global community.
This program will expose the intern to the dynamic office setting of an educational nonprofit focused on international issues. The intern will have the opportunity to contribute to the mission of the Council while learning and developing skills specific to their interests and area of study.
Reports To: Director of Development
Type: Part-Time (flexible hours within 9:00 a.m. – 5:30 p.m. office hours) for current or recent undergraduate/graduate student
Compensation: Unpaid, Course credit possible. Membership in the Council upon completion.
The Travel Intern will assist the Director of Development and Travel & Development Manager with administrative details, promotion, and marketing to expand upon the World Affairs Council of Greater Houston’s Travel Program. The intern will assist with planning, researching, and creating itineraries for international destinations; producing various promotional and informative materials regarding trips and traveler registration. Furthermore, the intern will help coordinate informative briefings for travelers before, during, and after trips.
The Travel Intern will be comfortable in a fast-paced office environment, must possess the drive to learn and see tasks through independently but ask for assistance when needed.
- Currently pursuing, or recently graduated with, an undergraduate or graduate degree
- Preferred concentration: International Studies, Public Relations, Marketing, Communications, Journalism, Tourism, Hospitality, Business, or related field with high academic credentials
- Comfortable using computers (both Windows and Mac OS), proficient in Microsoft Office Suite
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Detail-oriented, organized, and reliable
- Possess an interest in international travel – some experience traveling internationally a plus
- Familiarity with and a demonstrated interest in the mission of the Council
- Availability to work one to two events in the evening each month (counts toward internship hours)