Dynamic, innovative and exciting, the programs and events organized by the World Affairs Council of Greater Houston are designed to generate discussion and deepen knowledge of global issues, to increase cross-cultural awareness and understanding, and provide networking opportunities in the area of international affairs.
The Council provides access to world renowned speakers with a wealth of expertise and experience, and engages individuals in becoming more informed and involved as global citizens. Our global education programs and events in Houston, TX focus on key issues challenging today’s leaders in global arenas. These include topics of international importance in a wide range of areas such as foreign policy, economics, world cultures, global health, science, technology, environmental issues, and human rights.
Our accomplished speakers include high-ranking government officials, civic leaders, policymakers, business and academic professionals, and prominent writers and artists, among others. To name a few, we have
- Former Under Secretary of Defense Robert Work
- HRH Princess Reema, Ambassador of Saudi Arabia to the United States
- Walter Isaacson, Best-selling Author
- Admiral James Stavridis, Former Supreme Allied Commander NATO
- Mary McCord, Former Assistant Attorney General of the United States
- John Boehner, Former Speaker of the House of Representatives of the United States
- Chelsea Clinton,
- Ben Rhodes, Former Chief Speechwriter for President Obama & Deputy National Security Advisor
- Evan Osnos, The New Yorker & Best-selling Author
- Robert Gates, 22nd Secretary of Defense of the United States & 15th Director of Central Intelligence of the United States.
As a non-profit, non-partisan organization, the Council promotes dialogue and understanding through the exchange of ideas and perspectives in a respectful environment.
Calendar of events
Our global education programs
The World Affairs Council of Greater Houston is a nonprofit, nonpartisan organization dedicated to presenting unbiased learning opportunities and promoting international dialogue. We’re a proud member of the World Affairs Councils of America, which has chapters in nearly 100 U.S. cities.
We have programs geared toward students, teachers, young professionals and anyone who’s interested in broadening their worldview by hearing different perspectives and engaging with new ideas through civil discourse and dialogue. Our Houston international speaker events have included conversations with:
- Former U.S. Secretary of Defense, General Jim Mattis
- Pakistan Ambassador to the U.S., Dr. Asad Majeed Khan
- Venezuelan economist Ricardo Hausmann
- Former U.S. Director of National Intelligence James Clapper
And many other policymakers, business, and government leaders and prominent artists, writers and thought leaders We believe in “Global Perspectives, Local Conversations.”
We believe that a global perspective is vital to engaging compassionately and responsibly with the world around us, starting right here in Greater Houston. That’s why we offer educational events for students through our Student World Affairs Council (SWAC) chapters. We’re proud to keep the international dialogue going in more than 40 schools throughout Greater Houston. We also have a Global Scholars Academy, designed to guide students in the 7th through 12th grades toward greater global understanding through small group seminars with experts in foreign affairs experts and international business. This summer academy is truly a global classroom.
Local to Global, our young professional programs in Houston, is designed for adults from 21 to 40, encouraging them to engage in dialogue and learning on international affairs and while providing an excellent networking opportunity.